Get your Daily Encouragement with the Jesus Minute
Further in Jesus’ prayer, Jesus says something very insightful about God’s name and his. Jesus says: “I have manifested Your name to the men whom You gave Me out of the world; they were Yours and You gave them to Me, and they have kept Your word…. Holy Father, keep them in Your name, the name which You have given Me, that they may be one even as We are. While I was with them, I was keeping them in Your name which You have given Me…. I have made Your name known to them, and will make it known, so that the love with which You loved Me may be in them, and I in them.” (John 17)
Four things are clear to me here:
(1) God’s name is important to Jesus and his teachings for his disciples.
(2) God’s name provides a certain presence where disciples can be kept safely-to be kept in the name.
(3) God’s name is the same name that was given to Jesus. Jesus mentions it twice that the name of God was the name God gave Jesus.
(4) Knowing God’s name will result in experiencing God’s love for you and the supernatural presence of Jesus will be with you.
When God sent Moses to speak to the people of Israel on his behalf, Moses asked for one thing. He wanted to know God’s private name, so he could share that as his credibility, when speaking to the people. God told Moses that His name is YAHWEH, almost like breathing…”YAH-WEH”. It means I AM or I AM WHO I AM. It’s descriptive of the one who has always existed, exists now, and always will exist. He is the great I AM-the great presence in the universe-the God of all gods!
Then, when Jesus was to be named he was to be called Jesus, literally, Ya-shua or Yahweh-saves, meaning God saves or rescues. That’s the most powerful, Good News name of all! The God of all gods is the great I AM. Jesus claimed to be a continuation of that supernatural presence, when he claimed to be the I AM for today.
- I AM THE BREAD OF LIFE
- I AM THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD
- I AM THE DOOR
- I AM THE GOOD SHEPHERD OF THE SHEEP
- I AM THE RESURRECTION & THE LIFE
- I AM THE WAY, THE TRUTH, & THE LIFE
- I AM THE TRUE VINE
If God were ever to take on flesh and become a man, He would be just like Jesus and no other who has ever lived could possibly fill that role. This is precisely why Jesus is so irresistible, the incomparable one, and why people from every culture are mysteriously drawn to him. There’s something about that name, Jesus, simply Jesus.