Get your Daily Encouragement with the Jesus Minute
Jesus shared with his early followers: Blessed are your eyes, because they see; and your ears, because they hear. For truly I say to you that many prophets and righteous men desired to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it. Matthew 13:15-17
Several of us who are walking together have found reading the Acts of Jesus one chapter per day can be an amazing experience. We have read it through for several months at a time and it increases our own awareness of when and where Jesus is showing up in our lives today. There are 28 chapters in the Acts of Jesus. We start on the 1st day of the month reading chapter 1 and a chapter a day according to the monthly calendar through the 28th day of the month. If you want to be more aware of Jesus sightings in your life, pick a month and begin reading through the Acts of Jesus.
It’s important to note that Jesus’ activity doesn’t stop at the end of the 28th chapter. Jesus continues to act each and every day-24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Therefore, we have found it most helpful to move into the rest of our lives with Jesus. We call it Acts 29! Acts 29 is living out your relationship with Jesus today, because Jesus continues to act in and through all followers who have ears to hear and eyes to see.
So today, the “Acts of Jesus” become most evident as one pays attention to the three essentials in following the revolutionary Jesus.
- The pre-eminence of Jesus, making him first in your life.
- The presence of the Kingdom, living it as your lifestyle.
- The power of the few, following Jesus with a few like-minded traveling companions.
“When and where Jesus shows up” is not just a cliché or hope or mystical experience. It’s a reality and we have been experiencing this reality for several years. The Jesus movement was launched when Jesus showed up among his followers and that transformational movement is still on today!
If you want to boil it down further, think in terms of a couplet: Jesus and the Kingdom of God! Look for this couplet as you read through the Acts of Jesus.
- Acts 1: Jesus hangs out with his early disciples to prove he is alive and to teach them about the Kingdom of God.
- Acts 8: Philip speaks of the Kingdom of God and the person of Jesus.
- Acts 28: Paul meets with lots of people in his quarters and shares two things with every group that comes his way: Jesus and the Kingdom.
As you long to see Jesus today, take a month and see Jesus in the Acts of Jesus. It will help you see him more clearly and hear him more carefully.